Sunday, November 24, 2013

Petro makes a run for the border.

That's Petro, not Pedro. It's not a typo. I really meant Petro Stopping Centers.

I think this entry might be a little late, either that or this is coming in at the tail end of their special "South of the Border" menu. They did some Tex-Mex entrees and unfortunately I haven't had an opportunity to stop at Petro aside from once this past month, but I did try an entree and I am happy to report...

..that it sucked.


To be honest, I'm not happy to report that it sucked. I'm really sad to report that it sucked. I apologize for not getting a full plate picture, as one of my key gripes is something you can barely see other than a green....thing at the top.

Okay so what the heck is all this mess?
Well on the left is your gassy friend, refried beans. 
Next to the that is an enchilada that was really lackluster and a disappointing.
Next to that is a burrito that was actually pretty good and was the highlight of the entire dish.
Next to that is a taco that you can file away with the enchilada as dull and lackluster.
Above those is Spanish rice, that will inevitably get screwed up because the kitchen staff doesn't care and isn't good at cooking rice anyway so why would this be any different.

That green thing is a fried jalapeno. This was one of the things they specially mentioned about this dish. "You get X, Y and Z and on top of all that, a fried jalapeno". I've never had a fried jalapeno before so that seemed interesting and what the heck, I'm stocked up on Tums in case it gives me heart burn, bring it on!

Now when they said 'fried jalapeno', I was assuming it was fried when they were preparing the dish. Meaning, while they were assembling everything, there was a jalapeno on the grill sizzling away to heat up the juices and get everything all spicy and hot.

I didn't know 'fried jalapeno' meant "fried....some time ago and put in the refrigerator until we need one." Now if this was a refried jalapeno, maybe I could give them some credit.
But no, they slapped that thing down on my plate straight out of the cooler. IT WAS FREAKING COLD! Do you know what a 'fried and then put back in the refrigerator for a few hours' tastes like? It's disgusting. Not only is it not the temperature you were expecting, it also has.....a film on it.

But it was spicy. Yes I muscled past the yucky texture and lack of temperature of it and gave it my best attempt, much like those people on Survivor when they have to eat weird stuff to avoid elimination.

I wouldn't do it again.
Nor would I order this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment