Saturday, September 28, 2013

A Penne Saved...

I don't know about you, but my comfort food is Fettuccine Alfredo. Someone more famous than me said "It's like macaroni and cheese for adults" and it totally is! While I'm usually not that picky with how it comes, I may have to make an exception in this case. 

Now for this particular dinner, I was at a Petro in, I believe, Reddick FL (it's between Ocala and Gainesville on I-75. Have you heard of Cafe Risque' in Micanopy? Yeah its just down the road a bit from there). You can get it plain, or with a choice of chicken or shrimp. I was feelin' fancy that night and opted for the shrimp, which were well seasoned and yummy.


Buuuuut, rigatoni doesn't seem to fare too well with Alfredo sauce. It must be that totally tubular (sorry, as a kid who grew up in the 80's, I really had to put that in there) shape doesn't lend itself to sauce adhesion or maybe the sauce was too watery or maybe MAYBE the pasta was still kinda wet and the sauce just...ran right off it.

I have no idea why I'm trying to be so scientific about this. Now you see, class, we have the constant (X) represented by the sauce, the the variable (Y) represented by the pasta. Now you'll see as Y decreases in consistency, we see a related decrease in adhesion of Y.

...I really have no idea what the hell I'm talking about. My high school science teachers would be embarrassed. Both the Physics and Chemistry teachers.

Ok so..focus, Liz, focus! Rigatoni...not such a good Fettuccine Alfredo pasta choice.

Now I swear they said this was chicken and rice soup...


Sorry it's kind of fuzzy, I took this picture in a bit of a hurry and was afraid I was drawing too much concern taking pics of my food. I don't want to get kicked out of a place because they're afraid I write a food blog and will give them a bad review. On the other hand, maybe they just let it go thinking "I'll bet hardly anyone reads her food blog" to which they're probably right.

...please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyone?...anyone?...Bueller?

T/A still has Fettuccine Alfredo on their Country Pride menu and it is much, much better. Considering they're both owned by the same company, I'm not sure why there's a quality discrepancy here but oh well.

Fettuccine Alfredo:
T/A - 1 (they also offer chicken or shrimp)
Petro - 0

P.S. Sorry this blog entry sucks. The next one will be much better...

1 comment:

  1. Would have to agree, alfredo sauce just doesn't work right on tubular pasta. Same with spaghetti sauce really. No wait, I'm not a fan of that shape of pasta anyway, so take my comments with a grain of salt. Half the fun of pasta is slurping up long noodles :)

    ReplyDelete