Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Westborough Service Plaza on the Mass. Turnpike

Very few service plazas on the Mass. Turnpike rarely get my attention because it's mostly over-priced fast food. Come to think of it, are there any service plazas on any toll road that aren't over-priced? Usually cruising along a toll road in any state, my choice of where I stop to eat really depends on what I'm in the mood for that day. If the one I'm coming up to has an Arby's, unless I'm really in the mood for Arby's, I'll just go on to the next one and hope for the best. I mean eventually you'll come to one with a McDonald's!

While heading west from the Northeast recently, I re-visited a favorite service plaza on the Mass. Turnpike (I-90, btw). It was that kind of plaza where you look at the food options and think, no I'm stopping at this one for sure.

Why do I stop here versus the other ones I'll be passing? Well it sure isn't because of the ample truck parking! The parking situation here is *horrible* because there's not enough room for trucks! There are 3 rows of parking. If you're in the first row, you're golden. If you're in the last row, you're okay. If you're in the middle row, you're screwed. There is not enough room between rows to effectively leave from your parking spot with a 53' trailer. There is..no...way. It's too tight and by the time you're ready to start turning your wheels, you're sitting inside the trailer of the truck in front of you. There is simply not enough room.

Parking aside, let's talk food. First reason I stop here: Auntie Annie's, because I'm a hot pretzel junkie. A nice, soft, warm pretzel with just the right amount of salt on it warms the cockles of my heart. The dipping sauce, however, kind of lack luster. I tried two different kinds. While the cheese sauce is obviously processed, it seemed more like congealed cheese than velveeta cheese. The honey mustard was a little better. I'm still not sure why honey mustard is good on a pretzel but it tickles my taste buds. Overall though, I just like mine plain. I'm not a fan of fancy pretzels or gourmet pretzels. Just gimme one with light salt and make sure it's nice and warm and I'm a happy camper. Oh, the pretzel dogs are heavenly, too.


This one (and another one I tried elsewhere) seemed to be lacking in the salt department though. (Are we rationing salt for the war efforts?) Sure, cutting back on salt is a good thing but this is a guilty pleasure!

The other big reason I stop here is because it's one of the few service plazas that I know of that has a Boston Market...and it's located outside Boston..how appropriate! I can't say enough good things about Boston Market. Love the food, the service is nice (the prices could be a touch lower) and it always satisfies. Their macaroni and cheese is reason enough to keep living. It's just that good!


Here was my lunch: meatloaf (sorry, I already ate one slice before I remembered to take a picture but it still looks nice!) with some carrots...I mean..steamed vegetables and a new item of Garlicky Lemon Spinach, which wasn't half bad. It had a touch of garlic and a touch of lemon (gee, Liz, that's why it was called garlicky lemon spinach!) It wasn't overpowering at all, which is a big plus. I also had a side of macaroni and cheese because...it's freaking amazing. There was a mini cornbread, too, which was okay. It's tough to screw up cornbread. I mean it's possible, but most chain restaurants don't.

Boston Market has a variety of other side items to choose from, and they're all pretty appetizing. If you don't like meatloaf, they have chicken that's also good and the best part of getting the chicken is you can watch your lunch go by on the rotisserie ferris wheel oven while you're waiting to order!

I think this service plaza has a Burger King, too, but why get BK when you can have Boston Market? I mean you can get BK any time and they're scattered all over truck stops. How often can you get Boston Market on the road? Exactly.

The only catch to this service plaza is that I think Boston Market is only available on the west-bound side of the turnpike? So if you're heading away from Boston, you're set. If you're on your way into Boston..you're on your own. But definitely...if you're on the Mass. Turnpike aka I-90 and you're leaving Boston and you're hungry, stop at the Westborough service plaza for lunch or dinner at Boston Market, and grab an Auntie Annie's pretzel for later (not too much later, cold soft pretzels aren't as heavenly). Just remember to park in the first row so you can get out easily.

1 comment:

  1. I love to get the caramel dipping sauce with the pretzel bites at Auntie Annies, something about the sweet and the salty/buttery soft pretzel is really yummy!

    ReplyDelete