Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pittsburgh Salad: One of the oddest things I've had

I've tried a variety of different foods. I've had some different things (kangaroo, anyone?). I've had some normal things made with unordinary items (buffalo meatloaf, anyone?).

But nothing, NOTHING, compares to the oddity known as a Pittsburgh salad. On paper, and in theory, it seems mostly harmless if you look at these items individually, but put them together and it becomes...odd.

So what is a Pittsburgh Salad? Well you take a regular salad..put french fries on it..and then put a steak cut into strips on it. Voila! Pittsburgh salad.

Observe...


I wasn't sure if I should be reaching for the ranch dressing or A1. Now I'm sure you noticed there are no french fries on this salad...because I asked for them on the side. I couldn't do it. I could...not...do...it. That would have been just too weird, too unusual, too....just no, my brain couldn't handle it. Add french fries onto the salad and I wouldn't know if I should be reaching for the ranch, A1 or ketchup! That's too much decision making for my little brain to handle.

Sans fries, this was still pretty odd. My brain was still grasping at the concept of steak on a salad. A freshly cooked, medium, steak no less. Sorry my camera doesn't do depth really well either but this salad was large. I had to carefully eat this thing strategically and cut things strategically to keep it all on the plate and not falling on the counter all over the place. 

I'm still not exactly sure what to make of all this. It was just too weird! I can do chicken, I can do deli meat sliced up, I can do a blob of tuna salad. Steak though was just....it didn't feel right. It was like I was having my appetizer and entree at the same time. May as well slapped a piece of pie on top to get the whole meal on one plate, you know?

If you're a truck driver (hi!) and you're curious to try this freak of dinner, you can mosey on over to Jim's Truck Stop in Buffalo NY (maybe it's Cheektowaga). It's on I-90 exit 53-E, right on Walden Avenue next to K-Mart. 

The price was pretty reasonable, too! $8 I think? A good price for a big salad that will blow your mind.


It's nothing special, just a cup of ranch dressing. I only used half of it because I dip my fork in the dressing first, instead of pouring it all over. Egads, that would have been dripping off the plate and dripping onto the counter and onto me...ain't nobody got time for that! 

Pittsburgh salad! Um...it was...different.


No comments:

Post a Comment